Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Mardi gras bead necklace turned DIY bracelet


Stacking different styles of bracelets "Mr. T style" has become a huge trend these days so I wanted to create a few different styles and send them as Christmas gifts.  Pinterest offered a variety of different ideas - one of which I attempted (it didn't turn out as beautiful as the original) that later spawned into something I can call my own.  The original inspiration came from a great site called Honestly...WTF.  Her tutorial is clear and easy to follow but I didn't find my completed piece to be as cool as hers.

Directions below are to make the bracelet next to the red arrow.

Supplies
  • I used 1.5 mm leather cord ( I wrapped it around my wrist once leaving a few extra inches on each end then doubled it by folding the cord in half).
  • Brass ball chain a little shy of the diameter of your wrist.
  • Waxed cord 4-5 feet (I think? I didn't really measure but basically you are wrapping this around the leather cord and ball chain - in between each ball)
  • Hex nut or large button or bead
Step 1
Create a loop by folding the leather cord in half  (this will loop around your bead to clasp your finished bracelet). 

Step 2
Getting this started is the hardest part - place the ball chain on top of the folded cord and wrap the waxed cord around everything several times (just under the desired loop size). 

Step 3
Continue to wrap the waxed cord around every brass ball and leather cord.
Step 4
Once the waxed cord is completely wrapped around each ball, wrap it around the other end of the leather cord several times (replicating part of step 2).

Step 5
Thread the bead through the leather cord and tie a knot.

Ok, so the bracelet isn't so terrible but I thought it would be larger (I should have purchased larger brass ball chain). 

The bracelet I'm much more proud of consists of...



Supplies
  • 1.5 mm leather cord ( I wrapped it around my wrist once leaving a few extra inches on each end then doubled it by folding the cord in half).
  • Waxed cord 4-5 feet (I think? I didn't really measure but basically you are wrapping this around the leather cord and Mardi Gras beads - in between each ball on either side).
  • Hex nut or large button or bead
  • Mardi Gras beads (you should be able to make 2 bracelets out of one strand of beads.  Cut 2 strands of beads the length of your wrist).

Step 1
Create a loop by folding the leather cord in half (this will loop around your bead to clasp your finished bracelet). 


Step 2 Place 1 strand of beads on top of the folded cord and wrap the waxed cord around everything several times (just under the desired loop size).

Step 3
Continue to wrap the waxed cord around every Mardi Gras bead and leather cord.

Step 4 Once the waxed cord is completely wrapped around each bead, take the other half of Mardi Gras beads and place them on the other side of the leather cord.  Continue wrapping the waxed cord around both strands of beads and the leather cord.

Step 5 Wrap the waxed cord around the other end of the leather cord several times (replicating part of step 2).

Step 6
Thread the bead through the leather cord and tie a knot.

*Tip:  I used hot glue every so often to secure the string wrapped around the beads.







 I'm a huge fan of these Mardi Gras bead bracelets!!




 

10 comments:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. Go here to read more about what you need to do:

    http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2012/12/liebster-blog-award.html

    Happy Blogging!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you do I'm a bit curious how they turn out!

      Delete
  3. They look great and fun to make!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome. I am featuring them at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. They were the most viewed link last week at the Whatever Goes Wednesday party. Congrads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the feature and letting me know!

      Delete
  5. Hey, I love these and I have the beads from my niece's baby shower - everyone got two strands of beads but if you mentioned the word "baby" the closest person got to take your beads. I ended up with none but then my granddaughter left hers here. I ended up saying "baby" just so she could have more. :) Thanks for this tute. I pinned it so I can get back here when I'm ready to make it. Linda (following also)

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you put together. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Love this idea. I live in Mobile, Al where Mardi Gras started & always have tons of beads. Great to see something so creative to make with them. I am new to beading so I'm not sure what type of waxed cording you are referring to. I went to Hobby Lobby today but did not see anything that look like what you were talking about. Can you give me more details? Thanks so much & can't wait to get started! Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there. I don't know if the waxed cord is easily found in stores. I found mine online - http://www.ornamentea.com/StringingMaterial.htm. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the waxed option. Good luck!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...